Responsible for carrying out the protocols and programs by which the dairy herd’s foot and leg health is maintained and managed.
– Trims and cleans animal hides
– Identifies and reports of hazards/dangers, accidents, near misses, and property damage at the workplace.
– Separates hides according to size, weight and condition.
– Spreads hide and skin side up for inspection.
Minimum Requirements Education
– High School Diploma or equivalent
– Knowledge of applicable safety requirements.
– Knowledge of relevant equipment.
– Knowledge of cleaning techniques and procedures.
– Knowledge of inventory control
– Skills in completing assignments accurately and with the attention to detail. Fosters a stimulating, accepting
– learning environment.
– Sets priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities Skills in operation,
– maintenance, and repair of applicable equipment and tools
– Ability to understand and follow instructions.
– Ability to handle difficult and stressful situations.
– Ability to maintain and care for hand and power tools.
– Physical condition adequate to permit full performance of duties.
– Ability to act with tact and diplomacy in interacting with other Herd Health Technicians and staff.
– Ability to trim minimum 4 cows per 1 hour every day.
– Ability to identify lameness.
Additional Preferred Qualifications Essential Function
The below essential function, responsibilities and activities reflect the items considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be constructed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that maybe inherent in the job.
1. Maintains the hoof care of all animals in the herd.
2. Ensures proper hygiene of hoof trimming area.
3. Follows all protocols related to foot trimming and foot health programs.
4. Makes sure that the techniques and schedules are followed for all classes of cattle in the herd.
5. Ensures the appropriate record-keeping related to hoof trimming is carried out and reported on a timely basis within the Herd Health unit.
6. Sets protocols for hoof care.
7. Adheres to all relevant animal welfare codes and see that all others are as well.
8. Keeps a proven record of successful performance in the implementation of technical skills associated with dairy cow foot and leg health.
▪ Maintains active communication and builds teamwork amongst the team, affiliated companies, and other departments, in order to achieve commitment to the overall company objective.
▪ Builds positive working relationship with the team, other departments and/or business units; ensures understanding of department objective and the wants, needs and expectations of internal and external clients.
▪ Maintain the highest standard of professionalism, ethics, and attitude towards our shareholders, customers, business partners, employees, suppliers, communities and government.
▪ Attends training programs as set by the company and other departments.
▪ To be aware of the health, fire, and life safety control and security standards and procedures in handling emergency
▪ Performs related duties and special projects assigned.